Geosyntec's due diligence practitioners specialize in assisting mergers, divestitures and acquisitions (MD&A) activities by identifying environmental and operational liabilities and their underlying financial and business risks. Our diverse professionals combine technical expertise to produce streamlined recommendations designed to enhance deal-flow.
As a member of the CAT Alliance with a presence of environmental practitioners in more than 50 countries, Geosyntec provides due diligence support across the EU and globally. We offer an experienced MD&A team who embed themselves with the transaction team to help buyers or sellers quickly address liabilities for large and complex commercial and industrial portfolios.
Our MD&A team helps clients evaluate and understand the business/financial risks associated with:
- Environment, social and governance (ESG)
- Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) compliance issues
- Financial reporting requirements
- Recalcitrant contamination
- Vapour intrusion and indoor air quality concerns
- Geotechnical challenges
- Hazardous substance-containing building materials
- Protected wildlife and wetlands
Geosyntec can bring a unique combination of environmental and hazard risk engineering expertise to bear on sensitive transactions, such as those related to sensitive infrastructure.
Building upon our renowned expertise in environmental remediation, geotechnical and water resources engineering, we provide our clients with technically-sound and defensible assessments of environmental and operational risk to support business decisions related to insurance transactions, risk transfer, financial reporting and portfolio management.
We have evaluated client property portfolios consisting of individual to thousands of sites and with total alleged or potential liabilities in the billions of dollars. Geosyntec environmental liability valuation professionals develop and apply customized sophisticated costing tools to prepare estimates consistent with applicable costing standards, such as ASTM 2137-06(2011), for the following types of projects:
- Business planning (environmental project budgeting, portfolio management systems)
- Transactional support (MD&A, restructuring, contract negotiation)
- Financial reporting (environmental contingency reserves, asset retirement obligations)
- Insurance (cost recovery, underwriting, and claim support)
- Litigation support (bankruptcy, cost recovery and allocation, eminent domain)
Geosyntec’s environmental and ESG practitioners work collectively with deal teams to bring a breadth and depth of knowledge through transactional due diligence and post-transactional services through a holistic, collaborative, and efficient way. Our teams work collectively to identify risk and quantify potential impacts, while reducing uncertainty, through the transactional process. And, through a series of recommendations that reduce the risk associated with material issues, we work with the client(s) during the post-transactional process to implement systems, processes, and standards unique to the business’ needs improving business resiliency and sustainability.